Reading time

A couple of nights ago I sent Nathan upstairs to find a book to read for his reading log. I was busy doing something else so it took a little while to realize that he should have come back down stairs already. I marched upstairs to see what exactly was occupying my easily distracted child. I found him in his sister's room reading her a bedtime story. This in and of itself is pretty sweet, but when I saw what he was reading her, my heart swelled with love for my thoughtful son and his sweet sister. Before Phil left for his deployment almost two years ago, he had purchased some books for the kids and made recordings of him reading them so that the kids could look at the books and listen to their Daddy read to them while he was gone. One of the books he got was Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney. The story is about a father hare and his child telling each other how much they loved each other. The last page of the book has the father telling his sleeping child "I love you right up to the moon - and back." Phil then drew a picture of a hare in a submarine and wrote "I love you under the ocean and across the world - and back."
The kids love this book and had Daddy read it to them often when he was gone. This week, Phil is in Washington DC and Joslyn has been especially lonely for him. When I got upstairs her brother was reading her this book to make her feel better. I almost cried I was so touched by his thoughtful perception of his sister's feelings. I feel humbled to be the Mother of such wonderful children.

Comments

Sigh...I got little tears in my eyes. Those are the moments you do it for, eh? Thanks for sharing Jaime.
-Braden
Sandra said…
Just remember that even though they are brick walls some times they are good kids too. You are a good mom and this is proof.

Popular posts from this blog

Nathan's Baptism

Chase Maxwell Connor

Two Boys in a Bed