Welcome Home Sailor

After eight grueling months of separation Phil is back from Afghanistan. He came home on the 24th of January. It is such a joy to have him back and interestingly enough, it feels almost as if he never left. That must been a brain defense mechanism or something. Here is a breakdown of our reunion.
We were told that the buses carrying our people would be arriving between 4:15 and 4:30 p.m. The kids got home from school at 3:10 and we were out the door by 3:40 (thanks to all the last minute running around). We got to the base at 3:50 and when we pulled up to the Training Hall I almost freaked out because I saw some white buses and a lot of guys in the Desert uniform. For one brief, but terrifying second I thought they had arrived early and I had missed it. I knew that wasn't the case because I had been calling the number given to us all day to check the time and nobody was hugging and freaking out. I mentally gave myself a slap "snap out of it!" and got the kids out of the car.
We ended up waiting for an hour because they had gotten the time wrong. Finally someone announced that the buses were on their way and that they needed all the new mothers to go over to the right front corner of the grassy area (they put all the new fathers on the first bus). I grabbed the kids and we went and waited some more. Finally we saw the buses coming down the main road.

Here we are waiting for the first bus to come to a stop. When all the buses arrived the troops began to disembark. I scanned all the faces I could see trying to locate Phil, but did not see him. As the buses emptied and I still saw no sign of him, The kids and I spread out to try to find him. I was following Caleb when I saw him start running. He had spotted his Daddy!


Chase was right behind him. They were so excited and happy.


Then it was my turn. We hugged each other so tight (trying not to squish the baby, which was tricky) and it felt so good to be with him again. Then I got to introduce him to our newest little family member.


Phil, meet Dallin. Dallin, this is your Daddy.


Then Nathan and Jocelyn found us . . .


. . .and there was a Connor pile on Dad.


Together at last! Just the way it was meant to be.

Comments

Tiffany said…
I can't believe you are blogging already! I would still be sitting right next to him, not letting him out of my sight for a second. Ok - not really, like you said, it's as if he was never gone. Congrats on finally being a family again! I love all the pictures - I cried when I saw them on FB. Joy tears of course!
Sandra said…
I am so so happy for you! These are great pictures of all the great moments that come with be together again at last! Love it and thanks for sharing.
reynolds said…
So happy for you guys. Can't wait for our turn. These are seriously beautiful. You're an inspiration.
Cole said…
I TOTALLY didn't realize that Phil was in Afghanistan when the baby was born! PUXA! That must have been hard! You're my hero, woman. Parabems!

Popular posts from this blog

Nathan's Baptism

Chase Maxwell Connor

Two Boys in a Bed