State to State

We recently went on a trip to Utah to attend my best friend's sealing and to visit family. It is a long drive from here to there, so we tried to plan fun things to do along the way there and back again . . . hmm that sounds familiar. Anyway, we passed through a bunch of states on the trip and thought it would be fun to take pictures at each of the state signs. The only one we missed was Louisiana. Probably because it was the first, and we hadn't cemented the plan in our heads yet. That one I added through an internet pic.



Louisiana was the 18th state admitted to the Union. Louisiana's motto is "Union, Justice and Confidence" and it is known as the Bayou State. The coolest thing about driving through Louisiana is that some of the freeways are built right on top of rivers or bayous. We tried to get a good picture, but there was no place to pull off and we were going too fast so again I turned to the net and found this.



Next we went through Texas. We were going to Grandmother Barksdale's house. We stayed there for a couple of days and then traveled onward.



Texas' official motto is "Friendship" and it is the Lone Star State. I guess that means that "Don't mess with Texas" is their unofficial motto? Texas was the 28th state.

After Texas we came to New Mexico. This was the first time I had been to New Mexico, that I recall. Phil and I both found it to be beautiful and we greatly enjoyed the scenery. Phil and I have been a lot of places and we always speculate about where we'll settle when we get out of the Navy. New Mexico is now high on our list.



New Mexico's motto is "It Grows as It Goes", whatever that means. It is the Land of Enchantment and is the 47th state.

Colorado was next. I have always liked Colorado and find it very beautiful. We stopped at Mesa Verde, which I have always wanted to revisit, ever since I went there as a child. It was as cool as I remembered. I will blog about that later. . . in the meantime,



Colorado is the Centennial State and its motto is "Nothing without Providence" or "Nothing without the deity". It was the 38th state.

Finally we arrived in Utah.



Surprise, surprise, the motto of Utah is "Industry" and it is the Beehive State. Utah was the 45th state.

On our way home, we went through Wyoming so that we could stop at my sister's house. I used to think that the center of Wyoming was boring, but I now think that it has it's own stark beauty. I enjoyed driving through the state where I was raised.



Wyoming's motto is "Equal Rights". It was the first state to allow women to vote. It is known as the Equality State officially and the Cowboy State, unofficially. It was the 44th state in the Union.

After we left Sandra's house, we traveled into Nebraska. It is very flat there, but every once and a while you drive past a beautiful gorge or plateau. Lots of corn and lots of farms.



"Equality Before the Law" is the motto of Nebraska. It is the Cornhusker State and was admitted as the 37th state.

Next we went through Missouri. We stopped at a few church historical sites. Hopefully there will be a blog about those later. Missouri is very green and beautiful. It see easy to see why the early church members settled there and called it Zion.



Interestingly enough, the motto of Missouri is "The Welfare of the People Shall Be the Supreme Law" Wordy. Their nickname is the "Show-me State". It was the 24th state.

After we left Missouri, we were on the home stretch. We drove the rest of the way home and passed through:



Arkansas-"The People Rule", The Natural State, #25



Tennessee-"Agriculture and Commerce", The Volunteer State, #16

and finally . . .



Mississippi! Yahoo! It felt good to be in our own home again. Mississippi is called The Magnolia State or The Hospitality State. The motto is "By Valor and Arms". It was the 20th state admitted into the United States.

Comments

Joanna said…
Okay, New Mexico has the biggest dern sign I've ever seen! I love Missouri's motto about the welfare of the people and all that crap especially since the governor signed that extermination order and everything. I didn't know you'd visited church history sites...how fun! The state sign pictures were a great idea.
Sandra said…
What a good idea but I have to say that Wyoming's sign was the best!
The Hof family said…
Hi Jamie! You guys should have stopped by, since you were going from TX to NM. We are right on the border. I love that you all stopped at all the signs. We should have done that as well. I'll send you an invite to our blog as well. Hope you are all enjoying Mississippi.

Popular posts from this blog

Nathan's Baptism

Chase Maxwell Connor

Two Boys in a Bed